Last night, I went along with two friends to The Thali Cafe, Southville.
Winner of the Best Cheap Eats award in the Observer Food Monthly Awards, it’s a mini-chain of Indian restaurants with branches all over Bristol.
Serving authentic, Indian food, the Thali Café has a strong focus on vegetarian and dairy-free options but there are plenty of meat & fish dishes for those who need a protein fix. The restaurants have a strong ethical stance which is demonstrated in a variety of ways: many ingredients are locally-sourced, they have strong relationships with local people and businesses, and they play their part in terms of donating to charity. They are basically all round good guys & the food is immense. You can read their story here: Thali Cafe Story
We visited their new branch in Southville. Recently opened on the side of the Tabacco Factory, it's a lovely space filled with reclaimed tables & chairs. We were met by a jolly fellow who told us our table wasn't ready but showed us the way to the comfortable waiting area. A few minutes later & our table was still not ready, but we were offered an alternative which was an old science bench - quirky, edgy & an interesting talking point.
| Thali Cafe Southville |
The menu in this place has to be seen to be believed. A varied range of smaller, lighter dishes as well as the main event of thali dishes. Between us we ordered prawn skewers, chicken skewers & crab cakes as well as our thali. I had the Northern Thali which is a combination of vegetarian dishes - its a taste sensation. A party in your mouth. Every bite was devine! I ate like a queen for the bargain price of just over £20.
| Northern Thali - 100% Veggie |
and I finished the meal with this devine cup of hot chocolate with a cute little elephant on top - the logo of the Thali Cafe. I had a wonderful evening catching up with my girlfriends, talking about how far we've come since we first met on NICU nearly 3 years ago. I love my evenings with my girls & I love food! This place is top notch, if you're in the area, it's a must. Drop in & say hi, they're a friendly bunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment